Design Advantages Of RTO Systems
Regenerative Thermal Oxidizer
The Ship & Shore Regenerative Thermal Oxidizer (RTO) converts volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into carbon dioxide and water. VOC’s commonly emitted by manufacturing operations are typically known as hydrocarbons, solvent fumes, halogenated hydrocarbons, hazardous air pollutants (HAP’s), and odorous emissions.
TYPICAL PROCESS APPLICATIONS FOR THE REGENERATIVE THERMAL OXIDIZER INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- High flow rates & VOC concentrations of up to 25% of the Lower Explosive Limit (LEL).
- High VOC destruction rates from 96-99%
- Varying solvent mixtures and/or varying exhaust air volumes running on the same production line.
How the RTO Works
A regenerative thermal oxidizer (RTO) works on the principle that the heat energy of the RTO exhaust gases can be transferred to a solid media (in this case a ceramic material) and subsequently transferred, again, to the incoming gases. In this way the incoming gases and VOC’s (volatile organic compounds) can be heated to full oxidation temperature with the addition of relatively little energy.
The RTO is designed with a combustion chamber section, which in this case operates at 1500ºF, located between two heat storage sections. As the gases flow through the media the heat generated during combustion is transferred to the ceramic media. Then a valve system causes the gas flow to reverse so that the incoming fume stream will pass through the other heat storage section. Because of the high thermal efficiency of this system, relatively little energy will be required to sustain the operating temperature.
REGENERATIVE THERMAL OXIDIZER CAPABILITIES:
- Heat recovery as high as 95%-97% may be achieved.
- VOC destruction rates from 96%-99%.
- Low NOx Burners
- Ability to handle chemicals in the solvent mixture with catalyst-destroying properties.
- Multiple-burners available: natural gas, propane, LPG, Low BTU gas, or fuel oil burners.
- Relatively little, if any, support fuel is required for most applications.
THE BENEFITS OF WORKING WITH SHIP & SHORE ENVIRONMENTAL INCLUDE:
- Our equipment is manufactured in the USA
- Complete in-house engineering team and disciplines.
- In-house project engineer manages your project.
- 24/7 factory-trained service available by telephone.
- Standard and extended warranty on all manufactured systems.
- Equipment is pre-tested, pre-piped, pre-wired and skid-mounted to minimize installation time and expense, as much as practical.
- Installation, commissioning and aftermarket service provided by trained personnel.
- Complete VOC collection system design and installation.
- Customized heat recovery solutions.
- Ship & Shore Environmental is proud of our 100% success rate for all of our projects.
- Low Nox Burners
- Digital data recorder and remote telemetry by Programmable Logic Controller (PLC)
- Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) for variable process conditions
- “Self Cleaning” Bake-out feature to burn off organic particulate build up
- Purge or Puff chamber configurations for 99+% destruction efficiencies
- Forced or induced draft fan arrangements
- Supplemental Fuel Injection (SFI) for increased fuel efficiency, flameless thermal oxidation and ultra low NOX emissions
- Combustion Chamber Bypass for high loading conditions
- Diverse material of construction options for high temperature or corrosive applications such as halogenated compounds
- Control Rooms or remote mounted panels for convenient controls access
- Acid gas scrubber module for halogenated gas applications
- Secondary heat recovery – Energy Recovery Solutions
- Custom oxidizer configurations to meet space restrictions
CUSTOM ENGINEERED VOC ABATEMENT SYSTEMS
If the EPA, SCAQMD, BAAQMD, TCEQ, or other air quality authorities require your organization to collect and destroy VOC emissions from manufacturing operations, we can provide you with the right equipment, specifically designed and sized, to meet the unique process conditions of your facility.
Because we are not limited to one technology, we offer a broad suite of products and services, including CAD design, custom fabrication, and project management.
By working closely with our customers we serve as an Engineering Partner to them. During the development of a design our goal is to offer a high-quality and reliable VOC abatement system for each unique application. Our team can provide complete support from initial concept all the way through installation and commissioning. For each project we utilize our expertise and experience to develop the best overall system. Factory trained technicians are available by telephone 24/7 to help service, troubleshoot and maintain these VOC abatement systems.